Sunday, January 18, 2015

What I learned (and am still learning) about sewing with knits!

Before I get to that, I must confess, when I first learned sewing (or somewhere along the way), I was taught or heard that beginners should stay away from knits and only deal with cotton and/or cotton blends because it's too challenging, etc.

Just very recently, I'm learning that this may or may not be necessarily true.

With all of the tools out there today (you tube, blogs, online videos, -many free tutorials), there are so many generous people out there that take the edge and fear out of sewing with knits-especially for beginners like me.

So, with that said, here's what I learned, am still learning, and/or things I need to incorporate and/or practice.

1) Get a walking foot. Even though a walking foot may not be a means to an end, but at least it's a start. I noticed when I used one yesterday, I still didn't have good control of my fabric (but then again, I have to attribute that to me and not the foot) :-)

2) Practice different zig zag stitches. I was sewing on a new machine and hadn't touched it (before yesterday) in 6 months. I am more familiar with the zig zag stitches on my heavy duty Kenmore than my new Brother (my bad on that one, too). :-).

3) Practice cutting. Unfortunately, one part of my knit fabric wasn't cut properly thus creating layout issues as I was trying to lay my pattern pieces out.

There's more. The good thing is: I ain't mad cause I didn't finish, ain't frustrated cause it took a minute to get the right zig zag stitch setting. It's all good cause I' m learning.

See you again soon!


JC @ WANNASEW

2 comments:

  1. Way to go, JC. You have a really good attitude. Sewing with knits is fun once you understand those pesky cutting rules. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey JC.
    When you're cutting your knits, make sure all of the fabric is supported rather than falling off the table - even if it means you've got a bunch of fabric on the edge. If it's sliding off the table, it will distort under the pattern piece as you cut them.

    Also, you may find that your machine has stretch stitches other than just the zig zag. The triple stitch options will stretch. Different stitches work to varying degrees on different fabric, but worth running up a few samples.

    I assume you're using a ball needle already.
    Knits are fun. Plus, most of them don't need ironing to wear. Always a win. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for visiting WANNASEW. I will post your comment very shortly! Please come back again and visit. :-)