Saturday, December 29, 2012

SEW Important: Computer chat!

Hi Everyone. Happy New Year and thanks for all the support, encouragement over the year.

Preparing for more sewing this coming year. What about you?

If you're reading this, then you probably own a blog, website, or you love to post pics and/or videos.

We all read about cyber attacks, etc. but some of us may think it will never happen to us...well, it can!

There are some very nasty viruses out there that will BY-PASS the best virus protection.

If you are using your computer, laptop, I-Pad to store these files, you may be in for a pleasant surprise if your system gets hit with one of these vicious viruses.

We should always think: The questions is not IF, but WHEN.

With that said, if you don't have a back-up system SEPARATE from your hard drive, then you should!

Again, if (and you probably do) have your own site, blog, etc., then this should concern you.

Here are some practical tips as to how you can be PROACTIVE and not REACTIVE.

(I always tell myself "Take care of the potential issue on the front end, not the butt end."):-)

1) Purchase an external drive or a thumb drive. Nowadays, these are very inexpensive. You can go to a "big box" store (like Best Buy), but you might do better trying one of the following websites:

http://www.buy.com
http://www.amazon.com
http://www.newegg.com

Here's a pic of my external drive. I have an external drive AND a thumb drive. I've had the external drive for nearly two years, and just got the thumb drive last month. BOTH are external drives: the larger one I use for my desktop and the thumb drive I'll be using for my new laptop.

2) Copy your files, pictures, documents, videos EVERYTHING onto your external drive. Yes, it is time consuming and there's no pressure for you to do it all in one sitting. 

3) Create folders to place items in. Dont' just have them all over the place. For instance, a sample of my folder titles: Under "Videos," I have a folder for fitness, sewing. I have a separate folder for recipes, special folder for "Sewing documents," Sewing PDF's".

4) Last tip: Get in the habit of saving your files, pictures, documents, etc. TO your external drive FROM THE JUMP. Don't allow it to just default to your default drive. Use that drop down arrow to DIRECT and CONTROL where YOU want your files to go.

Again, starting the process may save your site IF some fool decides to attack your system.

DON'T WAKE UP ONLY TO FIND YOU AREN'T EVEN ABLE TO BOOT UP YOUR SYSTEM!

If you have any specific questions, need help,etc., I'm no expert, but I'm more than delighted to help.

Take care and Happy Sewing, Happy Blogging, and Happy New Year!

2 comments:

  1. Great advice! Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elary and Happy New Year! :-). Your most recent post was very rewarding. Sent you a PM via email on it. :-)

      Delete

Thank you kindly for visiting WANNASEW. I will post your comment very shortly! Please come back again and visit. :-)